What is the easiest and painless way to detox off opiates and/or heroin ?

Thor283 7 Dec 2011

IMO there is no easy and/or painless way to detox off of the short acting opiates, which Heroin is 1 of. If possible I suggest a slow weaning process where you use whatever meds can make the wds a little milder. A lot depends on what you've been taking and for how long. It also depends on how well you can handle the wds. I found that easier in my early 40's. Again, depending on all these factors, a Cold Turkey detox may be best. When I did it at, 40 something, I felt horrid for 10 days, and then things slowly got better. But at least after 10 days I was off all opiates. Was it easy, no way. But it was quick.

Several years later a pain doc got me up to 24 Vics a day. I was very scared as he kept raising the dose. But he said he had an easy, painless way to take me off them. Stupid me believed him. That's what we're supposed to do, isn't it, trust and believe our doc's. His painless, easy way meant putting me on Methadone, one of the strongest opiates, to get me off Hydrocodone, one of the weakest opiates. I was on Methadone for several months and I found the wds unbearable. I couldn't do what he wanted me to do. I also couldn't eat nor sleep much. I convinced him to switch me back to short acting opiates and I did a detox off them. In many ways it was worse than the 10 days of CT detox. When I got down to 1 Darvocet a day, I couldn't get off it. I have no idea why and neither did he. I now believe it had something to with whatever Methadone does to the brain. It took 2 or 3 years, I no longer remember, but I finally got off it.

Two years later a new pain condition started and I was back on Vicodin. I went to the wrong doc, although I thought he was good at the time. He messed me up and after 3 years I was on 10 - 12 Vicodin a day. I was not in a position where I could stay home and do a detox. I also had a pain problem that can never heal. This doc told me about Suboxone maintenance. I knew Methadone was out of the question for me, and this doc wasn't a real PM doc. He could have tried other meds on me long before I hit 12 Vics a day. But he didn't. I went on Suboxone and after a bad reaction to, probably the Naloxone in it, and having surgery, I went on Subutex. I tried to get off it twice and the wds were more than my older body and brain could handle. So I stayed on it. The Bupe in it helps my depression and this chronic pain. I find the wds from Sub to be pretty harsh, and I know from others they are super long lasting. Most ppl who got off it have done a very slow taper, that takes about a year. So IMO both Suboxone and Methadone do something to you that makes getting off them harder than the short acting opiates. Or maybe each time we get hooked on opiates it's progressively harder to quit. IDK.

I do know that the Name Brand Subutex is no longer available to me, and the generics don't work the same. It does help me in several ways. But sometimes I wish I never allowed myself to be put on it. But at the time I had no choice.

These are my experiences. I hope they can help you to make a wise choice for yourself.

Anonymous 9 Jan 2012

if your talking opiates as in narcotic pain meds, you can always do a slow taper like i am now. im tapering off percocet 10/325, went from taking 162.5 mgs and now taking 130 mgs. i do have restless leg and arm syndrome, anxiety/panic, insomnia and depression, body aches like the flu, im on prozac for my depression, and xanax for my panic/anxiety that comes with tapering. xanax will also help you sleep some. its bareable verses cold turkey which i hear is pure hell. good luck

Thor283 9 Jan 2012

Anonymous 10 Jan 2012

thor, i did here from others and also have read at the dc site that hydrocodone has less of wds. also heard that many people do the switch so when tapering its not so bad. im sure my dr would with no problem switch my medication, especially if it will make it easier for me, and yes about the xanax, i understand how bad it could get, and yes rarely do i resort to having to take it, thanks for your support and encouragement. leanne

kayla102692 20 Feb 2014

do you think regular cold and flu medicine will help the body aches a little bit?