What is the difference between ativan and xanax?

This question has also been asked and answered here: Ativan vs Xanax - What is the difference?

mitjason 2 Jan 2010

Xanax has a shorter half life and doesn't stay in your system as long as Ativan does. Xanax is a short acting Benzodiazepine meaning it works fasts and leaves your body fast. Ativan has a moderate half life meaning it stays in your system longer than Xanax and it also takes longer for Ativan to start working. Ativan is a Moderate acting Benzodiazepine meaning it stays in your system for a moderate amout of time. The manufacture of Ativan says it take approx. 2 hours to start working vs only a half hour to 1 our for Xanax to work. Xanax is also 2x more potent than Ativan (.5mg of Xanax equals 1mg of Ativan). I hope this is enough information for you. Happy New Years!