What is the difference between Astelin and Flonase besides price?

Anonymous 17 Jul 2010

Astelin(azelastine hydrochloride) is a prescription medication approved to treat sneezing, runny or stuffy nose, and nasal itching (known medically as rhinitis). The medication is approved to treat these symptoms when they are due to either seasonal allergens (known as seasonal allergic rhinitis) or to other irritants (known as non-allergic rhinitis or vasomotor rhinitis).

It is made by MEDA Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

Flonase (fluticasone propionate) is a prescription medication approved to treat sneezing, runny or stuffy nose, and nasal itching (known medically as rhinitis). It is approved to treat these symptoms due to either allergies (known as allergic rhinitis) or other causes (known as non-allergic rhinitis).

Flonase is made by GlaxoSmithKline.

They are almost the same with regards to what they do ( both are nasal sprays), but the chemical compounds or composition of the drugs are different.

I hope this helps you.

susanvernonh6 19 Jul 2010

Thanks for your answer. Yes it helps but we are wondering if the different chemical makeup will have a diffference with the other drugs taken. My husband has been using astelin as his nose runs mostly when he works his jaws to eat.

Anonymous 19 Jul 2010

Hi send me a list of all the meds he is on and I will do a drug interaction checker for you guys..OK

Take care

susanvernonh6 19 Jul 2010

Is there a cheaper spray that is combatible to astelin??

Anonymous 19 Jul 2010

Sorry but I truly do not know for I no longer live in the U.S.

Suggestion: Call your pharmacist and ask them, there must be cheaper alternatives..

Take care... and hope you find one.

Thank you!