What is the difference between 1mg of ativan and 1mg of xanax?

This question has also been asked and answered here: Ativan vs Xanax - How do they compare?

LaurieShay 27 Feb 2011

Hey kimmmmy,

It is difficult to compare benzodiazapines because the are different in their anxiety decreasing abilites, panic decreasing abilites and sedative abilties. That being said, the rough equavalence for these two drugs is:

.5 mg xanax is equal to 1mg ativan.

So to more closely answer your question 1mg xanax is equal to 2mg ativan.

Keep in mind that xanax is generally quicker acting than ativan. Other medications can affect the absorption of these two medicines differently.

Hope this helps a bit,

Laurie

eleng 27 Feb 2011

Hi Laurie:

Is better to take clonopin or xanax for anxiety until effexor xr kicks in (by the way I'm feeling somehow better)? Another doc suggested me to take 25mg Seroquel to help me with sleeping and increasing my mood... what do you think?

LaurieShay 27 Feb 2011

Hey eleng,

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I would probably choose the xanax over the klonopin but that is just me. As far as the seroquel, you can try it. It will definitely make you sleepy and may well help with the mood.

presten 27 May 2012

just a quick comment about the seraquel. Don't take it unless you moniter your blood sugar. My daughter took it from 7 to 10 and we thought she was diabetic. Had to take shots and everything. Took her off of the meds and her blood sugar never went up again.