What is the correct dosage amount for ursodiol based on weight?

Rajive Goel 15 Jun 2010

Ursodiol Dosage and Administration
General Dosing Information

The recommended adult dosage for Ursodiol tablets USP in the treatment of PBC is 13 to 15 mg/kg/day administered in two to four divided doses with food. Dosing regimen should be adjusted according to each patient's need at the discretion of the physician.

Read more: https://www.drugs.com/pro/ursodiol.html#ixzz0qtJK8TzC

josephine49 15 Jun 2010

Hi - I don't think this will adequately answer your question but I wanted to share my short story about my experience with URSO and I hope will be useful.

I am 49 - I was just 30 when I was diagnosed with PBC back in Brisbane, Australia and although at that time I was symptom free, the disease was progressing at a relatively fast pace and was told that unless the progression was slowed, I would be facing a liver transplant before 40 years of age. I was immediately prescribed URSO and it was hoped that because I had been diagnosed at an early age, the drug would be beneficial.

The drug was somewhat successful but the progression was still at a rate that it seemed likely I would require liver transplantation at some time over the coming years.

I immigrated to the United States in early 2004 and immediately located a specialist in San Francisco to continue to monitor my disease. Now, this is what might be helpful to you - at my very first visit to my new doctor, he immediately doubed my dosage of URSO to 1500 mg per day. I am a larger woman (app 200 lb) and it was noted that my prior dosage was insufficient in comparison to my weight. My bloodwork and other tests immediately improved and the results have been nothing short of amazing. Although, this current situation may change at any time, it seems that the disease has been slowed considerably to a point where we are all cautiously optimistic that I may live the remainder of my life without requiring a liver transplant.

Again, I am sorry if this does not adequately answer your question but I am happy to share my story if it can help anyone who has PBC.

PBCQ 15 Jun 2010

That is great news for you. I have a similar story. My enzyme levels have remained just above normal, and I was only diagnosed so early because of a fluke test one of my doctors performed. The Urso only keeps the bile levels from getting out of control but does not stop the progression of the cirrhosis, unfortunately, but it appears that you and I are slow "progressors" and that is a good thing for both of us. Normally, diagnosis does not occur until a person is in their late 50's or 60's. I have been displeased to find out recently that when I try to get individual insurance I will be classified as having a 'pre-existing' condition when the likelihood that I die of something totally unrelated is high. Insurance companies are unbelievable!

josephine49 15 Jun 2010

We have identical stories!!! I only became aware so early because of a random blood test during an annual check-up and a diligent doctor who wouldn't dismiss the blood work without further investigation. He immediately referred me to a specialist and the rest is history. As you say, getting a diagnosis earlier in life can make a huge difference compared to someone who doesn't start treatment until its too late and too much damage has been done to the liver. I agree about insurance - I am unemployed and I am forced to buy my URSO without insurance which is challenging to say the least and equally disturbed by the 'pre-existing' issue. My only hope if that time comes for me, is to return to my native Australia which has national health and all transplants are funded by the government. Government does not allow private health insurance companies the power to play God so all transplant programs are federally funded. God bless Australia!!