What is the choice of oral anti diabetic drug for type 2 diabetics at first?

Rajive Goel 30 Nov 2011

Metformin is usually the first-line medication used for treatment of type 2 diabetes. It is generally prescribed at initial diagnosis in conjunction with exercise and weight loss as opposed to in the past, where it was prescribed after diet and exercise had failed. Initial dosing is 500 mg once daily, then if need be increased to 500 mg twice daily up to 1000 mg twice daily. It is also available in combination with other oral diabetic medications. There is an extended release formulation available, but it is typically reserved for patients experiencing GI side effects.

However, a doc would be the best person to prescribe the right med & dose, take care.

Best wishes!

ElizaJane23 30 Nov 2011

Good answer Rajive! I am a new type II diabetic and Metformin is the first med I've tried and it seems to be working well. Very little side effects for me - actually the constipation from the opiates has lessened - I beleive from the Metformin. That's a great relief for me. Take care Rajive! -

Rajive Goel 30 Nov 2011

Thanks ElizaJane, I started Metformin ages ago for diabetes, now on insulin, but yes Metformin is the 1st choice of med for type II diabetes.

Take care, best wishes!