What is in tramadol?

Rajive Goel 8 Feb 2012

The chemical name for tramadol hydrochloride is (± )cis-2-[(dimethylamino)methyl]1-(3-methoxyphenyl) cyclohexanol hydrochloride.

The molecular weight of tramadol hydrochloride is 299.84. Tramadol hydrochloride is a white, bitter, crystalline, and odorless powder.

Take care, best wishes!

Anonymous 8 Feb 2012

Tramodaol is a pain med that that doctor are told by their reps is non addictive. Wrong! Once it enter your body & mixes with you won chemistry it can become opiate like & becomes very addictive. We have members that so addicted they can't get off of it albeit helpas their paain or not. It is a drug that also if you are on it can cause seizures if suddendly stopped. Doctors only know what their reps tell tem because most (as mine) iare too busy to do much research. It like "prescribe our product it's the wonder drug of the century, blah, blah, blah!" Anyway are you on it or comtemplating taking it? I am going to refer you to the website for the professional, but read it all, Very enlightening. You can click to side effects any time it pops up or whatever. There is a lot of info & lots of mdoctor mumbo jumbo the aveage joe doesn't rreally understand or care, but I always refer people to it because it's give you the entire nitty gritty.

Anonymous 8 Feb 2012

Sorry for the typos. Yours is my first or second question this morning & my arthritis just doesn't let me hit the right keys til I get warmed up! Mary

jk13 9 Feb 2012

Yes Tramadol like all other Opioids are addictive. The medication at first was seen as non-addictive due to the four week trial, studying the effects of the drug on different patients. In four weeks Tramadol is not addictive, but in six months it is, especially at high doses.

It really is a strange med in that it is not only an Opioid, but also an SNRI, identical in structure to many antidepressants. As a result, it does have an anti-depressant quality to it, but is the only one that I'm aware of that also hits on the Opioid sensors.

rockgal81 2 Mar 2012

If you're thinking about Tramadol, please weigh your other options. I took tramadol 7 years ago to deal with pain and it ended up being the worst thing I ever could have done! Here I am, 7 years later, on my 3rd attempt to get off these things. They do help with pain, but because they effect Seratonin and Norepinephrine, it gives you a very false sense of well being. I was a fully functioning addict, happy, full of energy, etc.I started out taking the recommended dosage, but quickly began taking more in order to get the same effect. Fast forward to 6 days ago and I was up to taking 25-30 a day just to function. I quit cold turkey and the withdrawals are HORRIBLE! I'm just now starting to feel slightly normal. I will tell you to please think about this and really read up on the effects this drug has had on people before you even consider taking it! Good luck!!

jk13 5 Mar 2012

Wow! Cold turkey! Tramadol can cause seizures when abruptly stopped and taken for a while (something like four months and on). It's an interesting case displaying how ineffective the warnings and trials that the meds currently go through really are as of now. Standard trials for new meds are a HUGE pain, requiring extensive testing on many many people. If only one person comes down with the flu during this testing period, even though the flu is totally unrelated, it by law has to be noted in the warnings that it may cause flu like symptoms. So, within an elaborate totally ineffective system of medication trials, everything and anything has to be reported. The thing is however, 50% may have had blurry vision and fatigue, but side effect is noted as equal to the other "possible problems".