What is happening when the heart is skipping beats?

suzanne66 27 Feb 2011

Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) are extra, abnormal heartbeats that begin in one of your heart's two lower pumping chambers (ventricles). These extra beats disrupt your regular heart rhythm, sometimes causing you to feel a flip-flop or skipped beat in your chest. Premature ventricular contractions are very common — they occur in most people at some point.
If you have occasional extra beats, but you are an otherwise healthy person, there's generally no reason for concern, and no treatment is needed. If you have frequent symptoms or you have underlying heart disease, you may need treatment to help you feel better and treat underlying heart problems.

Cathleen186 28 Feb 2011

I have that all the time and it drives me crazy. But I must say it is under control when I take Atenolol. When I forget to take it, my heart really does a number on me. Are you taking any meds for high blood pressure?
Just a thought, CAthleen