What happens when the mirena is removed? Does it hurt and how long before another can be inserted?

Anonymous 11 Jul 2010

I believe this a question for your gynecologist.

Best wishes

galy 13 Feb 2011

I had a mirena removed by my local doctor. I didn't even know it had come out, painless. If the strings are accessible, there is not problem. If the strings cannot be reached or felt, a day procedure under general anesthetic is required to find them, then take it out. You can have one put in immediately the other one is out. No waiting. Though they sometimes suggest having some swabs to make sure there are no germs etc when they put the new one back in. My local dr also put the new one back in and it hurt a little, but not unbearable. My friends has just had a 5 year one removed and a new one put in at the same time too. Hope this helps.