in 2005, my big toe got really sore and my foot swelled up. After a couple of days hobbling around, I went to visit with some friends one afternoon. They asked why I was limping, and I said I guess I jammed my toe into something. It was in great pain, and the entire foot was swollen. It felt like someone had jammed a needle into the joint of my big toe and broken off the tip. The strange thing was, I went to bed one night and the foot was fine; when I woke up the next morning and got out of bed, I nearly fell over when the pain shot out of my big toe joint. I couldn't figure out what I might have done in my sleep that night.

They looked at it, laughed and said, "You've got GOUT!" Apparently one of these guys got it a lot. They gave me two little dark-red pills and said to take one now and one tomorrow, and it would go away. (I don't recall any markings that may have been on the pills.)

That's what I did, and viola! The pain was gone in 48 hours, the swelling was gone, and my foot felt better. The joint was still tender, but that went away in another couple of days.

One thing they said was these pills were really cheap because they were used in WWII, and only cost something like 10 cents each. But they required a prescription. They said what the medication was, but I don't remember.

I'M TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE MEDICATION WAS THAT MY FRIENDS HAD THAT WORKED SO WELL FOR GOUT?

I've not had a recurrence of gout since then, until just recently.

I went to the doctor and told him about this. He didn't know what I might be referring to, but gave me something else (Colchrys) that has not been nearly as effective. It's also freaking expensive! (He said it's a generic drug, but the pharmacist said it's a brand-name drug and cost about $6 per pill.)