What drugs have been found to treat migraines the best?

suzanne66 20 Sep 2011

Every responds differently to medication and what might be an excellent migraine medicine for one person may be of no use to another.
There are a good many migraine medications available today. Your doctor will be able to work with you to find the most effective treatment. All the best.

This is from https://www.drugs.com/enc/migraine.html

"... Many different medications are available for people with migraines. Medicines are used to:

Reduce the number of attacks
Stop the migraine once early symptoms occur
Treat the pain and other symptoms
REDUCING ATTACKS

If you have frequent migraines, your doctor may prescribe medicine to reduce the number of attacks. Such medicine needs to be taken every day in order to be effective. Such medications may include:

Pat621 22 Sep 2011

Hi mowensfl,

The advice that suzanne66 gave you is the best you will find anywhere. I have had Migraine headaches for 60 yrs and have tried everything. See your Doctor and take the list of things that Suzanne mentioned with you. If your Doctor does not seem to sure about Migraines,(many Doctors are unfamiliar with them), then see a Neurologist. They are the experts.

I used to take Cafergot suppositories(ergotomine), and they worked fast, but I had to stop because of severe side effects. I cannot take the Triptans (Maxalt, Imitrex) because I have a heart condition. I now take a Beta Blocker (Nadolol) to cut down on the # of attacks and Fioricet for mild headaches and Fioricet with
Codeine for severe ones. They are the ONLY things that work for me, but remember everyone is different.

I wish you the best. Keep us posted.

Tee6759 22 Sep 2011

As stated, Suzanne has given you excellent advice. The best person to advise you is your physician. Im just the opposite of the others who have posted here. I was tried on the fioricets for a while, with no luck. Then I was placed on Topamax to "ward off" the migraines. I've had great success with this combination. In the event I do have a migraine, I take Imitrex, 100mg, and boom, my migraine is gone! So as you can see, there is a very wide scope of suggestions. My advice to you is to follow Suzanne's suggestion and discuss this at length with your physician. I wish you luck in finding a solution!
Peace,
Tee6759

Jillynnie 22 Sep 2011

Tee,
Good morning! How are you doing? How has your weekend and week been treating you?

It's great to 'see' you this morning. :)

Hugs!
~Jillynnie

Jillynnie 22 Sep 2011

mow,
I have used Maxalt and it worked wonders for me! The last migraine I had (and it was a doozy!) I took this tiny pill and within 20 minutes I was a new woman.
Do check with your doctor about all of your options. :)

Best of luck,
~Jillynnie