What doea HP stand for in Vicodin HP?

christineATU 10 Feb 2011

Hi tiffany. The Vicodin HP means it has more hydrocodone 10mg and 660mg of acetaminophen. Compared to Vicodin ES which has 7.5mg hydrocodone and 750mg of acetaminophen.

The maximum dose of Vicodin HP should not exceed more than 6 pills per day due to the high acetaminophen content. The maximum dose of Vicodin ES should not exceed 5 pills per day.

Sorry, but I looked everywhere for HP and could not find what it means. The ES is obviously Extra Strength. But the info I found above is correct.

Best wishes,
chris

caringsonbj 10 Feb 2011

What I found means Vicodin High Potency it says the exact same thing that Christine's does 660mg of acetaminophen (tylenol) and 10 mg hydrocodone but says no more than 6 tablets per 24 hours, I found the HP in older book now this is evidentally called Vicodin ES be careful about the tylenol

DzooBaby 10 Feb 2011

He is right. HP stands for high potency. ES stands for extra strength. these usually pertain to the higher doses of hyrocodone-the 10mg and 7.5 mg.

arcanoidcyst16 11 Feb 2011

High Potency

christineATU 11 Feb 2011

Thanks guys!! I couldn't figure it out for the life of me or find it anywhere!

DzooBaby 17 Jan 2014

High potency. These are 10mg hydrocodone.

daver777 17 Jan 2014

thank you for your answer. my previous prescription was 10-650 t. what does the t stand for?

DzooBaby 28 Jan 2014

It was probably "tabs" or "tablets" but the way the pharmacy printed the label, it cuts that part off. The areas may only have a certain number of characters that "autopopulate" by a computer and therefore it cuts it off after the number of characters has been reached when printing the name.