I am severely allergic to polyethylene glycol with the following symptoms when ingested in medicines or used in cosmetic preparations : rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, and tongue. I have had an anaphylactic reaction to it, and seem to be getting more sensitive all the time. I also have severe swelling all over my body for at least two days duration with a constant headache. I have added it to a medic alert bracelet. I am constantly locating prescription medications as well as many other-the-counter medicines and cosmetics containing this chemical. Many of my doctors are not aware of its presence in the drugs they prescribe to me. Recently, my blood pressure has risen to the point that I need a new blood pressure medicine with a diuretic. I am presently taking 40mg of Benicar. It is not sufficiently controlling the rise in my blood pressure. I need to find alternatives that do NOT have polyethylene glycol in them. Any suggestions? I am not even sure which ones to check. ** Note: I do not do well on Metoprolol, having side effects with that also.
What blood pressure medicines do NOT include polyethylene glycol?
- 10 Feb 2011 by Kermit88
- 31 October 2012
- anaphylaxis, high blood pressure, hives, hyperhidrosis, headache, tachyarrhythmia, allergic reactions, pruritus, ethylene glycol poisoning, skin rash, hypertension, side effect, interaction, swelling, medicine
Added 10 Feb 2011:
See also my comment in the support group "Ethylene glycol posioning" listing the various medications I have been prescribed, that I have verified so far, as containing polyethylene glycol.
You would need to be seen by a specialist and find any newer drugs that do not contain this ingredient... extensive reading and coming from a family with high blood pressure history this is a question really for a certified md and follow up with pharmacist... mostly a heart specialist... polythlene glycol is in or added to so many different types of medications for many reasons and one is to protect other organs as the medication itself takes effect for the med problem at hand, it also seems to have something to do with time release... seek med advice/attention then maybe tell me how it turned out..good luck blaze22
Sorry if I could not be of more help to you but this really is not a question just anyone can answer directly and in dealing with high blood pressure a life threatening disease it is extremely important that a medical professional is the only one speaking with you on this matter... my cousins husband over the weekend who is only 44 years of age had a heart attack and now has 6 stints in his valves... that is scary and his wife, same age as myself, my cousin is on high blood pressure medication and she is only 43, 1/2 my family has high blood pressure, but all take diff meds ... it is scary because I am hoping I do not end up with it... also diabetes runs in my family as well... so I have alot I am hopefully fighting off by age 50... for your health and well being get back with your doctor... blaze22
Glory be - I've finally found another person besides me that is allergic to glycols! I found if you're allergic to one glycol you're allergic to them all - all Glycolic Acid Derivatives. Best thing I've found to do is find a smaller pharmacy with only a few pharmacists, so they really get to know you, and ask them to research for each type of medication you need. The doctor might have to request their help at first until they get to know you. Have the doctor call, tell them the medication, or class of medication you need, and they can research all the inactive ingredients in that med, or others in that class. Also, remind them that different manufacturers of the same medication, such as generics, have different inactive ingredients. Also, you can call the brand-name manufacturer yourself and have them read off the ingredients to you. Just google the name of the med and you'll find info on who makes it.
I'll add you to my list of friends and privately message you lAter today - I have lots more info to give you. I'm sorry you have to be allergic to this stuff that is in everything, but once you get used to it it's not that bad. My life is normal, just has a few more bumps in the road. Talk to you later!
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Updated 7 May 2018 • 9 answers
Updated 20 Jul 2014 • 1 answer
Updated 28 Jul 2014 • 1 answer
Updated 22 Jul 2015 • 4 answers
Updated 17 Oct 2013 • 2 answers