What are the side affects alochol with welbutrin?

Rajive Goel 8 May 2010

WELLBUTRIN - Bupropion hydrochloride Tablets - the prescribing information recommends minimizing the use of alcohol, since in rare cases bupropion reduces alcohol tolerance, and because the excessive use of alcohol may lower the seizure threshold. A small study conducted by GlaxoSmithKline indicated that bupropion (100 mg) may counteract the subjective effects of small doses of alcohol (16–32 mL, slightly less than 1–2 standard US drinks). The volunteers reported feeling more sober and clear-headed and less sedated. Bupropion also reduced the detrimental effect of alcohol on auditory vigilance. The combination of bupropion (100 mg) and two drinks of alcohol increased heart rate by six beats per minute, a statistically significant increase.

Hope this helps?

oceano11 31 May 2010

An occasional beer or glass of wine won't be of much harm, but carefully monitor drinking - it is never ever a good idea to drink even moderately on the anti-depressants. Wellbutrin reduces the seizure threshold, and if you drink, you are putting yourself at greater risk for seizures. I have found that my alcohol tolerance has been reduced, so I have to watch and drink less. I definitely stay away from any drinks that have tequila, including margaritas, because I notice that tequila has the worst effect on my mood the next day.
Shots are absolutely out of the question. If I drink liquor, I only have 1-2 mixed drinks. I took a shot of patron and absolutely regretted it. It slowed me down terribly the next day to the point that my gait was visibly slower, and my mood was thrown off for about 4-5 days afterward.
So moral of the story - keep your drinking to a minimum.