List some precaution
Some warnings and precautions to be aware of prior to taking Ativan include:
* Ativan is a controlled substance, which means that it has the potential to be abused. There are special rules and regulations for prescribing and dispensing Ativan. Ativan is generally not recommended for people with a history of alcohol or drug abuse.
* Ativan can cause psychological and physical dependence and is often abused. The risk of abuse and dependence is greater for those taking higher Ativan doses for long periods of time (for longer than two to four weeks). Because Ativan can cause dependence, you should not abruptly stop taking the drug without first discussing it with a doctor.
* Ativan can cause severe drowsiness and difficulty breathing, which may be life-threatening. This risk is increased when Ativan is combined with alcohol, narcotics, or other medications or substances that cause drowsiness and sedation. One should not drive or operate heavy machinery until you know how Ativan affects.
* Ativan may cause depression or worsen preexisting depression. Before one takes Ativan, one should make sure the doctor knows if one is depressed or has a history of depression. People with depression should take Ativan only if they are also taking an antidepressant.
* Elderly people are more sensitive to the effects of Ativan and should be started with a low Ativan dosage.
* Sometimes, people react to Ativan in a way that is the opposite of what is usually expected. That is, they may become agitated, aggressive, and restless and may have difficulty sleeping. Tell the doctor if one experiences these effects.
* Let the doctor know if one has liver or kidney disease, as the body may not handle Ativan as well as it should.
* Ativan is considered a pregnancy Category D medication. This means that it is probably not safe for use during pregnancy.
* Ativan passes through breast milk.
Hope the info helps? Take care, be safe & well!
- Ativan Information for Consumers
- Ativan Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Ativan (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 10 Oct 2011 • 2 answers
Posted 2 Oct 2012 • 2 answers
I had protected sex on 4th october. I dont know if the condom leaked or not. As a precaution I have?
Posted 9 Oct 2014 • 1 answer
Posted 9 Mar 2016 • 1 answer
Posted 21 Nov 2016 • 1 answer