ive been taking this tablet for about a year now and would like to know the damage it can cause with been on it this length of time
There are a number of possible side effects with hydroxychloroquine that you should report immediately to the doc/pharmacist, including, but not limited to:
* Psychotic thoughts or behaviors (such as hallucinations or delusions)
* Hearing loss
* Muscle weakness or numbness
* Any vision changes (hydroxychloroquine can cause severe and permanent eye damage)
* Easy bruising or bleeding
* Frequent or severe infections
* Signs of heart problems, such as swelling of the ankles, shortness of breath, or an irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
* Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
An unexplained rash; Hives; Itching; Unexplained swelling (especially of the lips, mouth, or throat); Wheezing or other breathing problems.
Based on this information, possible bothersome (but usually not dangerous) side effects of hydroxychloroquine may include:
* Nausea and vomiting
* Diarrhea and abdominal pain
* Dizziness or a spinning sensation (vertigo)
* Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
* Loss of appetite
* Irritability or nervousness
* Hair loss or bleaching of the hair
* Sensitivity to the sun
* Weight loss
* Changes in skin pigment
It is possible that you may experience some or none of the side effects of hydroxychloroquine listed. Please talk to the doc/pharmacist to let him/her know if you develop any side effects while taking hydroxychloroquine or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be a side effect of hydroxychloroquine, the doc/pharmacist mayl be able to diagnose and treat the problem.
Take care & be well!
- Hydroxychloroquine Information for Consumers
- Hydroxychloroquine Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Hydroxychloroquine (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Hydroxychloroquine - What is the best medicine for Rheumatoid Arthritis with the least side effects?
Posted 14 Nov 2011 • 1 answer
Posted 20 Nov 2012 • 2 answers
Posted 1 Nov 2016 • 0 answers
Posted 22 Jan 2017 • 1 answer
Posted 18 Feb 2017 • 1 answer