What are the best drugs for Bipolar Disorder?

kytteneyes 6 Jun 2010

I am bipolar first of all. The best medication for me so far was Abilify. It is an expensive medication since there is no generic form as of now. I felt a difference right away within days and felt normal and was also given Celexa for the depression and anxiety. There are other drugs in this family of anti-psychotic but not sure of how much they are. Also every medication works differently to each individual. The following are anti-psychotic Zyprexa, Risperdal, Seroquel, Geodon, and Clozaril. You can do some research in this website or ask your pharmacist about the pros and cons of the medications as well their prices. If you can't get one of these Lamictal is what was recommended next but not sure if you would need additional medication. This medication needs to be given at lowest dosage and to gradually work up to higher dose because of its potential to give rare but serious skin reaction. Hope this has been helpful.

clm1970 8 Jun 2010

This is difficult to say because there are a plethora of medications that can stabilize and control bipolar symptoms. In my pratice, a very efficacious combination for controling mood symptoms has been Depakote and Risperdal. Now, with that being said, it is well known that both of these medications can cause unwanted side-effects, such as, not limited to, weight gain, insulin resistance,etc. As the before writer mentioned, there is the newwer atypical antipsychotic, Abilify; however, although its proponents for utilization challenge this, but in my practice and career, I have seen Abilify cause weight gain, etc. A medication that has been around for a while, but is increasingly becoming more popular and utilized in the psychiatric world for affective/Bipolar Disorder, is Topamax. Because of its GABA, it can assimlate thoughts, decrease disorganization, thus decreasing racing thoughts.

Anonymous 11 Jun 2010

Hello, I´m bipolar and I´m 41, I understand your question. I have been on many meds which all have side effects. What works for me might not work for you but I´m taking 200mg of lamictal in the morning, 6 mg of clonazepam (not generic) I take them 3 times a day not all at once at night valcote 250mg ( valproic acid) and seroquel 150mg after trying many different "cocktails". I wake up tired at 6 am everyday, I have problems sleeping and try to take my night dosage at 23:30.
I have found that going to the gym helps, so I have been training for about 8 years, I recommend it!
As you might be aware this is a miss and trial situation which is supervised by your Doc, to "adjust" the only way is to be patient and try a combination of medications given by your Doc that work for you, there are no miracle meds... I wish there were... 4 all of us!!!

I wish you all the best