Psychiatric medications are prescribed for the management of mental and emotional disorders. There are 6 major classes of psychiatric medications:
1. Antidepressants, which are used to treat disparate disorders such as clinical depression, dysthymia, anxiety, eating disorders and borderline personality disorder.
2. Stimulants, which are used to treat disorders such as attention deficit disorder and narcolepsy and to suppress the appetite.
3. Antipsychotics, which are used to treat psychoses, schizophrenia and mania.
4. Mood stabilizers, which are used to treat bipolar disorder and schizoaffective disorder.
5. Anxiolytics, which are used to treat anxiety disorders.
6. Depressants, which are used as hypnotics, sedatives, and anesthetics.
Perhaps a doctor shall be in a better position to address your question, hope the info helped?
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 1 Apr 2010 • 1 answer
Posted 28 Nov 2010 • 1 answer
Posted 14 Mar 2011 • 1 answer
Posted 7 Jun 2014 • 2 answers
Posted 10 days ago • 2 answers