Psychiatric medications are prescribed for the management of mental and emotional disorders. There are 6 major classes of psychiatric medications:
1. Antidepressants, which are used to treat disparate disorders such as clinical depression, dysthymia, anxiety, eating disorders and borderline personality disorder.
2. Stimulants, which are used to treat disorders such as attention deficit disorder and narcolepsy and to suppress the appetite.
3. Antipsychotics, which are used to treat psychoses, schizophrenia and mania.
4. Mood stabilizers, which are used to treat bipolar disorder and schizoaffective disorder.
5. Anxiolytics, which are used to treat anxiety disorders.
6. Depressants, which are used as hypnotics, sedatives, and anesthetics.
Perhaps a doctor shall be in a better position to address your question, hope the info helped?
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 5 Aug 2009 • 1 answer
Posted 26 Apr 2010 • 1 answer
Posted 10 Jun 2011 • 1 answer
Posted 24 May 2013 • 2 answers
Belviq - how does 20mg compare to other psychotropic medications should I be worried its too strong?
Posted 7 Oct 2017 • 0 answers