What are some alternative, non-habit forming medicines for benzodiazepines?

Anonymous 12 May 2010

There are no, non-habit forming medicines for Anxiety. What can be done is working with a Psychologist for therapy on understanding in how to cope with Anxiety.
Anxiety and Depression go hand in hand with certain disorders
I hope this helps, read up on Anxiety to help you understand how it works.
Give me a thumbs up if I helped you

grey_cypress 12 May 2010

Unfortunately there arent any meds that you can take for anxiety that wont make you have some kind of habit. Benzos are notorious for their nasty habit forming properties

heather011971 12 May 2010

I agree with the other two comments that were left before mine. My fiance had a friend over the other week and he takes Xanax daily but had missed 2 days and the result of that was he had a very bad seizure in our livingroom and it was quite disturbing. He landed and our friends 2yr old daughter which in return made her land on her head on a wooden table so she quite a big knot on her little head! This guy is only 19yrs old and doesn't have a history of seizures ever. He was very dehydrated too. You have to be very careful when it comes to taking Benzos. They can be dangerous taking them and missing them. So if I were you I would talk to my PCP or even talk to your local pharmacist if you don't have a PCP because they have as much knowledge as your Dr. Just make sure that if you in fact do talk to a pharmacist make sure it's a trustworthy Pharmacy like CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, etc...

Anonymous 12 May 2010

Healther, tell your friend to read this massage:
Xanax may be habit-forming and lead to DEPENDENCE if used in high doses or for a long period of time. If you are on long-term or high dosage therapy, you may have WITHDRAWAL symptoms (eg, convulsions, tremor, stomach and muscle cramps, vomiting, sweating) if you suddenly stop taking Xanax . Do not stop therapy abruptly or change dosage without asking your pharmacist or doctor. Discuss overuse with your doctor or pharmacist

Read more: https://www.drugs.com/cdi/xanax.html#ixzz0nh0oWrIw

heather011971 12 May 2010

Bucky thanks for that info but unfortunately I already had that talk with him. Personally I think he's too young to be prescribed such a high dose of Xanax. There's really nothing that's that terribly wrong with him to be on it even at all. But he insists on taking them. He is definitely addicted to them. He's young and stubborn.

RemSupreme 12 May 2010

There is Buspar which is a non-addictive anti-anxiety and some of the anti-Depressents say they help with anxety(the reason your on benzos im guessing) or you can go natural and try ST John's wort which is supposed to work for anxiety and im sure if you go to a healh food center the people that work at most are knowledgable so ask them,and they might have a new herbal drug or different one that will help with anxiety,Thats if you want to go natural some people swear by it.Good luck