i'm dealing with an abcessed tooth and i've been advised to take amoxicillin for the infection and swelling but i have an allergy history to the penicillin group. both my grandmothers are allergic to these antibiotics, one is allergic to penicillin and the other to bactrim. and also when i was young i had a reaction to rovamycine... what should i do?
Just because your grandmothers are allergic to it doesn't mean you are. But doesn't your dentist know of what to use since you may be allergic? Or haven't you gone to him yet? You sound like me. Well, which antibiotics can you get? I recently had a really bad abscess, they're nothing to ignore. If you aren't going to a dentist, then take any antibiotic you have that you know you are not allergic to. There are some strains of bacteria that can only be killed by certain antibiotics, but most of the common bacteria die from almost any. Besides, the antibiotic meds only kill the bacteria a little. The real cure comes from our immune systems. The drugs just help. When I finally went to the dentist they did a biopsy of the bacteria. It was susceptible to Amoxicillin, and that was what I used. But if you can't take it, take what you know is safe. But when you do go to the dentist, tell him what you did. He needs to know. If you take an antibiotic that is working, the swelling should go down in 2 or 3 days. If it does not, or if it gets worse, then stop the antibiotic immediately. But I doubt even the wrong antibiotic will make it worse. It probably just won't work. However, left untreated, the abscess will get worse all on it's own. Go to any kind of doc as soon as you can. An abscess is an infection and any doc can treat it. They prefer for you to see a dentist. But any doc can treat an infection.
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 7 Oct 2010 • 1 answer
Posted 10 Nov 2011 • 3 answers
Posted 3 Dec 2013 • 2 answers
Posted 19 Jan 2014 • 1 answer
Posted 10 Feb 2015 • 1 answer