Wellbutrin and Chantix makes me smoke more, why?

G mc 15 May 2016

Hi Gunnar: I looked up interactions between wellbutrin and chantix:
duplication warnings
Therapeutic duplication is the use of more than one medicine from the same drug category or therapeutic class to treat the same condition. This can be intentional in cases where drugs with similar actions are used together for demonstrated therapeutic benefit. It can also be unintentional in cases where a patient has been treated by more than one doctor, or had prescriptions filled at more than one pharmacy, and can have potentially adverse consequences.
Duplication
Nicotine-craving reduction agents
Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'nicotine-craving reduction agents' category to be taken concurrently is usually ONE. Your list includes TWO medicines belonging to the 'nicotine-craving reduction agents' category:

varenicline (active ingredient in Chantix (varenicline))
bupropion (active ingredient in Wellbutrin SR (bupropion))
Note: The benefits of taking this combination of medicines may outweigh any risks associated with therapeutic duplication. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor. Always check with your healthcare provider to determine if any adjustments to your medications are needed. I would run this information by my doctor, if I were you. Hope this helps. "G"

Gunnar58 15 May 2016

Thank you, I tried Chantix a few years ago and it made me smoke more. I recently started Wellbutrin for depression, anxiety, etc and I want to chain smoke. I don't get it.

G mc 15 May 2016

Gunnar, are you taking a generic wellbutrin? How many mg.?
Wellbutrin SR helps people to quit smoking.

Gunnar58 16 May 2016

Yes, started 1 week ago for depression. I take 150 mg twice a day, it makes me want to chain smoke, can't sleep, etc

Gunnar58 16 May 2016

Yes, started 1 week ago for depression. I take 150 mg of Bupropion SR twice a day, it makes me want to chain smoke, can't sleep, etc. This is the 8th medicine I have tried for depression, I had high hopes for this one. Time will tell. Thank you

Twitter 8 Jul 2016

I've been on chantix for 9 days now and 2 days ago my psyc put me on generic welbutrin for depression.
I can't smoke an entire cigarette anymore. I take a couple hits and put it out. They taste horrible and my tongue feels strange when I smoke. I'm desperately trying to stop. I'm almost 50 and been a heavy smoker all my life. My Dad passed from king cancer and my Mom is a breast cancer survivor. Everyone on my Moms side of the family has died of cancer. I know I have to stop or the big ugly C word will get me also. Praying that this does the truck.

Twitter 8 Jul 2016

Gunner58. This is my 2nd time on welbutrin for depression. Everyone misdiagnosed me for several years. You may want to ask about bipolar. I take lamictal and I love it. Going thru depression due to a recent long term relationship breakup and need a little extra help. Hope it works for you