How do I ween myself off low dose .137mcg levothyroxine?

JakeMelboure 25 Mar 2016

Hi DesertBunny54

To answer your question, we'd really need to know why you're taking levothyroxine.

If you're taking it due to hypothyroidism such as Hashimotos Disease, stopping your levothyroxine could lead your body's levels of thyroxin to drop below what you need. Leading to a very serious metabolic syndrome where your body cannot burn the energy it needs to keep you alive.

If you're taking levothyroxine because you've had your thyroid removed, then the short answer is... there is absolutely no safe way to stop taking your levothyroxine. It's essential, and without it, it will prove fatal.

If you're taking it for another reason, then it's presumable that you could cease the medication over time. But it would need the advice, supervision and extra scripts from an endocrinologist or other highly experienced doctor.

My advice is that you have a good chat with a doctor about why you want to stop taking it, and how to do so if it's safe to.

Take care.

Jake.