Can the voltaren gel be use on the legs and arms to help with the nerve pain?

silmarien 16 Apr 2013

You can try, but I doubt it. I have sciatica (neuralgia from 3 ruptured/herniated spinal discs) and voltaren doesn't work well. It's best for topical pain or muscle pain. Drugs like Neurontin or Lyrica would work better, IMHO. FYI, opiates like vicodin or percocet don't help neuralgia either, nor do NSAIDs like Aleve and Aspirin, or Tylenol. I'd recommend asking your doc.

MacIntosh12 16 Apr 2013

Hi Bigdawg10, I must agree with silmarien's answer. Have you tried Neurontin (gabapentin is the generic) or Lyrica? I also have terrible nerve pain and I must admit that none of the opiates really work very well for nerve pain, I take them and they sort of turn the volume down a tiny bit, which I'll take, but supposedly opiates don't do much for nerve pain.
But gabapentin (Neurontin is the name-brand) and Lyrica as used most frequently as well as many antidepressants.

There is an ointment called Capsaisin that some people use for nerve pain, but it is made with very HOT chili-peppers, so do take care to wash your hands if you apply this stuff to any part of your body.
My nerve pain has never been touched by Capsaisin, but you may want to give it a go.