Dosage: My dosage of Vistaril (hydroxyzine pamoate) is 25 mg once a day as needed for anxiety.

Anyway, I'm wondering why Vistaril needs to be taken with food. I've heard people say that they get a bad stomachache or vomit if they don't take this medication with a meal, yet Vistaril is used to control nausea and vomiting. What gives? As someone with emetophobia (the fear of nausea and vomiting, with the inclusion of diarrhea in my case), I don't want to take anything that'll make me sick. On the other hand, I would like to use an anxiolytic that isn't a benzodiazepine.

How likely is it that Vistaril would cause someone to loose their lunch in a particularly violent and unpleasant manner? Would taking it with a meal reduce that risk, or would it only make things worse if it made me sick? If I took it and got sick, how long would it take before I feel better?

Thanks!