Was just supposed to be a routine spay surgery and we got the terrifying call that they had "messed up" and my dog has accidentally been administered penicillin through her intravenous. She has yet to have a reaction (Thank goodness!) and the vet said to be on the lookout for signs of anaphylactic shock. Has anyone else ever had this happen? How serious is this "mess up"? And what signs should I look out for other than vomiting, diarrhea and seizures?
Hi, h! This really isn't a serious problem at all. Penicillin in it's many forms are routinely given to patients, though usually not through the intravenous route. An anaphylactic reaction would be unusual and usually instantaneous and would have been resolved at the hospital with anti-inflammatory medications.
A delayed reaction would also be unusual, but watch for any swelling of the face, throat or paws, any difficulty breathing, or difficulty swallowing. If that should happen notify your veterinarian or go to an animal emergency clinic.
Chances are though your pupper will be just fine now.
Best wishes, WildcatVet
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 26 Feb 2013 • 4 answers
Posted 29 Dec 2014 • 2 answers
Posted 30 Mar 2015 • 2 answers
Hi Could someone please help me with this question, my dog is on vetmedin and my vet couldnt really?
Posted 17 Oct 2015 • 1 answer
Posted 21 Feb 2016 • 4 answers