(molds are my biggest problem - why am I living in South Florida?!). When exposed to even trace amounts of mold over time (like in the A/C system at work or home, where at least I have some control), I become too ill to remain in the building. At that point, no meds. help, and it takes weeks to be able to breathe through my nose again. I have tried ionization, acupuncture, hepa filters, Chinese herbal medicine, etc., to no avail. Does anyone know of anything new under the sun that I can try? I looked for relevant clinical trials, and found none
Have you tried Singulair? My husband has horrible nasal allergies (to everything inside and out!) He used to take "allergy shots" when he was younger and then was on combos of antihistamine/decongestants on a daily basis for awhile then went the steroid nasal spray route. Now he takes one 10mg Singulair every morning and for the most part that keeps him under control. He does have some days where he still gets an "attack" and may have to take an antihistamine too but it has been overall better than anything he's ever taken. Singulair is Montelukast sodium and it was oringinally developed for asthma but is also really good for allergic rhinitis. It works a bit different from antihistamines. It might be worth a try if you havent already. You do have to take it regularly for a while before you start noticing a difference so you might need to use a steroid spray or oral anthistamine for a month or two until it kicks in good.
Good luck to you. I have the same thing, and will be following these posts very closely--hoping for some new suggestions too.
I finally gave up on all the Rx 24 hr. meds. They would only last 4-6 hours on me, then I couldn't take another pill until the next day! The 'dry mouth' was horrible!!!
What I do now is just buy the OTC remedies at Walgreens or CVS.
I only take the 4 hour ones when I am having an especially bad attack, and that seems to get me thru the worst of it--- and I am not stuck on a 24 hr. pill!
For me, the only active ingredient that seems to work is Chlorpheniramine maleate, and I just bought the CVS generic product called: ALLERGY RELIEF ANTIHISTAMINE (similar to Chlor-Trimeton), 4 mg., which lasts 4 hours.
Mary, the madhatter.
I too have mold allergies and have been suffering for a long time. I am actually a health researcher so I have been researching the medical literature on this topic for a bit. However, I research cardiovascular disease so I am not a specialist in this area. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, there is not too much research in this area right now. However, I tried many different treatments and have found that three things seem to work best for me. "Indoor Allergy" by bioallers works quite well. Unfortunately, each tablet will only last about an hour so I use it when I must be in a moldy building. I try to leave as soon as possible after a meeting though. However, I will eat the tablets when I'm in the buildings. While doing research and reading scientific papers. I also saw people with food allergies have a bit of success using "wu mei wan" and "xiao feng pian." I was very hesitant and skeptical to use these products at first.
However, after trying many many other treatment options I finally tried chinese medicine and it seems to work quite well - though its definitely not a cure. So in summary, I'm able to keep my mold allergies under some control using these three different products. I wish there was more funding for mold allergy research because there is actually a huge community of people who are allergic to mold. You can find 2 communities on facebook. Some of the stuff that's posted is more believable than others, but I find the information generally helpful. Best of luck to you!
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 17 Aug 2009 • 1 answer
Posted 10 Sep 2009 • 1 answer
Posted 20 Aug 2013 • 1 answer
Posted 8 Sep 2016 • 1 answerFAQ by Drugs.com
Posted 10 Sep 2016 • 0 answers