Venlafaxine - I have been taking it for 16 years @ 75mg a day will life improve?

janiebme 29 Aug 2016

Hi gn73-
If you have not felt improvement after 16 years of being on Venlafaxine 75 mg, then it may be time to increase your dose and or change meds. Talk to your doctor about your alternatives. If you and your doctor decide to stop your med ask your doctor for a reduction schedule. Do not suddenly stop your Venlafaxine.
Hope life improves for you soon :)

WildcatVet 29 Aug 2016

Hi, gn! Either you are on too low a dose or the medication isn't working for you. Have you ever spoken to your doctor about this and what did he/she have to say?
Best wishes, Wildcat

Argoslass 1 Nov 2017

Hi 75 is quite a low dose for this medication. Its only a starting dose. Maximum I have taken is 425 (not suggesting you go that high unless you really need it). Also the effect on different chemicals increase with higher doses, firstly acting on serotonin, the happy chemical then noradrenaline for anxiety, then dopamine for pleasure. Ask if you can increase by 37.5, it might be all you need. Good luck.

gn73 1 Nov 2017

Thank you, I now discuss this with my doctor. I appreciate your your help, thanks.

mihulka3 25 Jan 2018

I was on 150mg Effexor XR and dropped down to 75mg adding 450mg WellbutrinXR. It helps my OCD and the Wellbutrin is very stimulating offsetting Effexors energy drain.

trigabyte1 6 Nov 2017

I'd recommend changing meds. 75 is the base dose for treatment of depressive disorder. (37.5 is often used for neuropathic pain). 150mg is not unusual for MDD, which you may want to consider a diagnosis for if you've had no improvement in affect or function in 16 years. Most depressive episodes are limited, except in cases of untreated or improperly treated / diagnosed mental illness.

I really think you need to be working with a psychiatrist if you've suffered with depression for a decade and a half without improvement. Many family doctors and internists are the only source of psychopharmacotherapy (mental health medication). That's like having Jiffy Lube fix a transmission in a Lamborghini. Yeah, any mechanic COULD probably do it, but wouldn't you rather have a person who specializes in Lamborghinis handle the work? Your brain is no different.