Will Valium keep Ambien from working? Seems like it won't let the ambien put me to sleep!?

balbanese 28 Apr 2014

We have an awesome interactions checker on this site. Other than that I would point you to the prescribing physician on this. I had the same issue and it resulted in my choice of one or the other. For me (we are all different), Valium helps me sleep longer, while Ambien helped me fall asleep faster, but didn't help with the length of sleep.

Also, when I was taking both, I was having weird dreams which made the quality of the overall sleep less.

Hope this feedback helps a bit.

Best, Billy

balbanese 28 Apr 2014

For your convince, here is what the Interactions checker came up with:

diazepam ↔ zolpidem

Applies to: Valium (diazepam), Ambien (zolpidem)

Using diazepam together with zolpidem may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

dat3113 28 Apr 2014

Hi

Yes to the weird dreams!

Thanks!

Deb

balbanese 28 Apr 2014

Happy to be of help. It's nice to know when others experience similar things.