Why isn't Uribel on the Medicare approved list for Part D recipients? Why isn't the $40 coupon avai?

endlessPred 12 Sep 2012

Whenever you need a medication not covered by Medicare you need to talk with your physician. Your doctor may have a different drug to use or can write a special request to Medicare to continue your medication.

Why drugs go in and off the formulary is up to Medicare. Let your doc know and see if that helps.

As for a coupon, that is something to check with the drug manufacturer.

kaismama 13 Sep 2012

Oh, you're the one to ask this, my client told me today that medicare wouldn't pay for her prednisone??? Can that be.

endlessPred 13 Sep 2012

No that is crazy talk. lol. Medicare copays are very cheap for prednisone. In fact the copay cost is set higher than the med cost depending upon the dose. Mine costs $2.60 for thirty days of 20mg for 60 pills.

I do have secondary part D insurance. Even out of pocket or through target or Costco it is very cheap. She must have misunderstood or didn't have her card registered properly.

kaismama 13 Sep 2012

I said to her that it didn't make sense, prednisone was cheap. Maybe they told her it would be cheaper for her to pay out of pocket.

kaismama 13 Sep 2012

There are several reasons why any drug isn't covered. The cost is exorbitant, and there are cheaper drugs available, there is no proof its effective, or it has many side effects. This is a combination drug and I would bet they'd pay for the meds as individual pills.

jmccurdy 13 Sep 2012

The cost wasn't that bad at Costco I got it for $66 for 30 day supply. Best part is it works great for Interstitual cystitis or chronic cystitis. so of course I will pay for it.
It is alread generic because the drug has been around according to my pharmacist for many many years. An it was approved by the FDA 3 yrs ago for IC.
The company offers a $40 coupon for each month supply the big BUT is that Medicare has not put it on it's approved list for Part D Medicare Plans--probably an oversight. I did email Medicare and Star Pharmaceuticals to ask why ithe coupon can NOT be used by Medicare individuals even of they pay cash
An no if you no the pain with Interstitual Cystitis when something old is being tried to help you probably have tried all other drugs in your doctors arsenal

kaismama 13 Sep 2012

I've never heard of an insurance telling you you can't use a coupon. The only thing I've seen is that coupons can't be used if you have insurance paying for the med, because you can't use it with a copay, but when the insurance isn't paying it shouldn't be involved. I would contact my part d carrier and ask about it, if I were you.

endlessPred 13 Sep 2012

FYI; Medicare prevents you from using a coupon. You either file Part D or use a coupon. Many coupons have fine print also stating this.

Of course, supplements and OTC allow coupons as Medicare does not cover these anyway.

Anonymous 13 Sep 2012

Hello jmccurdy. I agree with the above statements. You might ask your doctor to perscribe you a generic. If that is at all possible, then your problem is solved. Good luck and best of wishes, pledge

jmccurdy 13 Sep 2012

Pledge
Thanks but the drug is manmany years old and BEEN GENERIC for long time. Doctor has tried all he can

Anonymous 13 Sep 2012

Very good I understand jmccurd and thanks for the info/update. Have a great day.

endlessPred 13 Sep 2012

When you can't get the drug to be affordable, sometimes the manufacturer will provide it at reduced cost or free. Your doctor would need to write a letter and you would have to provide whatever info the manufacturer wants.

I did this with cellcept and they were very helpful. Perhaps this will help you.