I started taking 600 mg/day of Trileptal (Oxtellar) for bipolar. I've been on it for 13 days now. I've been feeling a lot of fogginess and I am having a difficult time concentrating at work. Is this common for anti-seizure medications? Will these symptoms go away over time?
Before taking Trileptal, I was having the same effects when I started taking the medication Lamictal. With Lamictal, I increased dosage slowly and reached a dosage of 300 mg/day, and I felt the same fogginess and concentration issues. I was told to decrease the dosage in half, so I went down to 150 for a week, 125 for a week, 100 for a week, 50 for a week then 37.5 for a week. I was feeling very good and stable at the beginning of this range of dosages, but when I got to 300 mg/day, I suffered from the negative side effects as I came down in dosage, I increasingly got better. but at that point, the doctor told me to stop taking the lamictal and to switch to trileptal because the trileptal dosage was not at a therapeutic level.
Could it be that I wasn't giving the lamictal time to stabilize in my system between changes of dosages which is why I was feeling the negative side effects?