Hi, I've been a type II for about 5 years now and until recently was under control with pill medicines and Byetta, food changes and exercise.

As of today, I am now taking 10 units of Lantus Insulin. I also take 2000mg of Metformin a day, Acarbose 3 times a day and Glimeperide twice a day at the base levels. My doctor is having me stop the Byetta and Acarbose with this injection.

My question is if it is normal for blood sugar readings to be high once you start taking insulin. My normal BG's have been 160 in the mornings with an 89-130 2hrs after a meal. The last 90 days though the average has creeped back up to 190. My A1C went from 6.5 to 8.9.
After my first injection today, which I had my normal low-fat yogurt and handfull of veggies for breakfast, my BG at 2.5 hours later was at 256. Am I to expect high BG's until my system stabilizes with the insulin and if so, how long does that typically take?