Is a tramadol a norcotic?

kaismama 2 Jun 2014

It acts on the opiate receptors like a narcotic, but is not considered such by the federal government. About 20 states do however.

DzooBaby 3 Jun 2014

It is not a "true" opioid (or narcotic) but it does act on the opioid receptors in the brain making it opioid-like. Tramadol is truly a unique drug. It is not made from the poppy plant or synthesized to be a chemical like those derived from poppies so this is why it is not considered a "true opioid" Narcotic is kind of an antiquated word in medicine. It denotes more along the lines of law enforcement than medicine. What is considered "narcotic" can be different by different people as well. Some people(mainly law enforcement) consider any controlled drug to be a "narcotic" so this could mean cocaine, marijuana, heroin, PCP, methamphetamines etc.(or illegal drugs) as well as morphine, codeine, oxycodone, hydrocodone etc.

DzooBaby 3 Jun 2014

From FDA literature on Ultram:
(Tramadol is a) Synthetic, centrally active analgesic;1 2 3 4 5 15 53 not an opium derivative or a semisynthetic derivative of morphine or thebaine.1 21 22 53

DzooBaby 3 Jun 2014

My mistake, that little blip that explains tramadol is NOT from FDA literature but from the AHFS Monographs.

MacIntosh12 3 Jun 2014

Tramadol is listed (right here, above - Drugs A to Z) as a synthetic opioid analgesic. Some think it is a "narcotic" while others disagree. I must agree with DzooBaby regarding the word 'narcotic', it has a very bad connotation!
DzooBaby, again brings up a great point, Tramadol acts like an SNRI antidepressant (serotonin, norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor) in the brain, putting it simply. It can cause euphoric feelings and can be very addictive if taken incorrectly. Any withdrawal from an opioid is quite hellish and will bring on depression and anxiety, even tramadol.
Lara
P.S. Hi kaismama and DzooBaby, it's been forever, I've missed you guys!

DzooBaby 3 Jun 2014

This isnt the first time this has been debated here on DDC. It is just a very unique drug and it is classed as an opioid just because there is really no other way to class it as it is like no other pain reliever-see my addition to my answer! (Good to see you girl! Hope you are feeling better?)

Delila 3 Jun 2014

I agree with Mac', great answer! Also check out the information in the following link: https://www.drugs.com/search.php?searchterm=tramadol

Quando62 3 Jun 2014

I have been taking it for Fibromalgia and CFS, resistant depression 3 years.
Not the best for pain, but, I can focus, more energy, NO depression!!! It also works on Dopamine... It is closely related to Effexor. I have run out, and the withdrawals ,were worse than Methadone, Lortab, Herion which I ended up in rehab detoxing. Be careful, wonderful med for me, but DO NOT up the doseage!

DzooBaby 3 Jun 2014

Absolutely!

Ana1337 7 Jun 2014

Tramadol is a non controlled substance but it does act on the opioid receptors in the brain like some controlled substances making it opioid-like. Tramadol is truly a unique drug. It is not made from the poppy plant or synthesized to be a chemical like those derived from poppies so this is why it is not considered a "true opioid" Narcotic is kind of an antiquated word in medicine. It denotes more along the lines of law enforcement than medicine. What is considered "narcotic" can be different by different people as well. Some people(mainly law enforcement) consider any controlled drug to be a "narcotic" so this could mean cocaine, marijuana, heroin, PCP, methamphetamine etc.(or illegal drugs) as well as controlled prescription medications. For others "narcotic" means only opioids and opioid derivatives.