Tourette's Syndrome - how safe is haldol if taken over a long period of time?

jk13 9 Sep 2010

I guess long term use can result in severe depression (to the point of suicidal risk - severe with a capital "S"), dependence (as is true of most medications that effect the brain), the risk of Dyskinesia (it's an older anti-psychotic, so the risk is much more severe than the newer types), the risk of Neuroleptic malignant syndrome, an increased risk of breast cancer somewhere between 3 to 9% increased risk, (but the study was only in women, however is not official, and needs to be redone), heart problems (but that can be screened with a cardiograph), and as an overall, a very very long list of side effects...

I hope that this is of some help, and I wish the best luck to you!
Jeff K

hutch11 14 May 2011

I have been on Tegretol for about 25 years. I have not suffered from any significant side effects at any time. I am just about the phase out of the drug - with my GP's approval. With all the warnings about not stopping suddenly, I am being very cautious and would appreciate any advice from those who have stopped in the past.