Tikosyn - Can I take Benadryl with ticosyn?

masso 11 Aug 2014

Interactions between your selected drugs
No results found - however, this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

Other drugs that your selected drugs interact with
Benadryl (diphenhydramine) interacts with more than 300 other drugs.
Tikosyn (dofetilide) interacts with more than 200 other drugs.

Interactions between your selected drugs and food

In vitro data suggest that grapefruit juice may inhibit the CYP450 3A4 first-pass metabolism of dofetilide. Decreased first-pass metabolism may increase dofetilide concentrations and increase the risk of QT interval prolongation and arrhythmias. The clinical significance is unknown, since dofetilide has a high oral bioavailability and a low affinity for CYP450 3A4. The manufacturer recommends caution.

two 12 Aug 2014

Helo!
Tikosyn as you may know, does not "play well with others!" Reactions are mild, moderate or severe and this drug can have more severe reactions than a drug like OTC Benadryl. I take them together and was told such by another medical Prof. We always say seek the advice of your Dr. etc... for legal and honorable reasons, but you know that already, so i respect that and i simply give you a personal experience. this is a tough drug to take, as it has many serious interactions. It is all about risk vrs benefit. I hope all the answers you get will help, because they come from informed folks that care, just like the caring person that left the first great answer. I take them together without any ill effects. Blessings, Two

jcolson 25 Jun 2015

Yes, I have been on Tikosyn for 8 years and have used benadryl the whole time, but only your doctor can give you the answer if it is safe for you. But as far as any interactions, I have looked a few times and could find no conflicts with the 2 drugs.