I thought Seroquel was used as a sleep medication, because that's what my Dr. Rxed it for me?

masso 4 Apr 2016

I take seroquel and it has a strong sedative effect, which helps many people with sleep disorders but seroquel is much more than that, its main use is to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, and belongs to the drug class of atypical antipsychotics.

https://www.drugs.com/seroquel.html

WildcatVet 4 Apr 2016

Hi, Bagman! Many medications are prescribed off-label for reasons that may not directly relate to their marketed purpose but because they have other advantageous effects (called side effects when someone takes the drug for it's recommended purpose). Seroquel is actually a very potent antipsychotic drug. Another example is the use of trazadone, an antidepressant, as a sleep aid because the drugs make you sleepy.
Best wishes, Wildcat

WildcatVet 4 Apr 2016

So why don't they prescribe sleep aids?

masso 4 Apr 2016

Hello, how are you lately?

Best regards,

masso.-

WildcatVet 4 Apr 2016

Doing well! In the middle of a crazy April snowstorm! How ya doing?

masso 4 Apr 2016

Insomnia, I am on my 11 day of sleeping only 2 hrs. per night, and still going to work, and I am taking a bomb of meds but I am too tolerant when one is manic!!! But well thank you for asking.