Why tetracycline not recommented below 12 years?

kaismama 10 May 2012

Because it will stain teeth while forming, to an ugly brown.

DzooBaby 10 May 2012

The permanent teeth are forming and like Kaismama states, it stains the forming teeth an ugly grayish brown.

Lisa01 10 May 2012

The ladies are right in that the permanent teeth come in stained and ugly. The enamel on the teeth, which is the white color, does not form properly and can be severely thinned or not there at all. Unfortunately I was given that medicine as a small child before the doctors were aware of this side effect and the majority of my permanent teeth were affected. They came in not only that horrible brown color, but were thin, ultra sensitive and way more prone to cavities, chipping and breaking, especially over time. I've had severe dental and the resulting self-esteem problems all my life. I was finally able to have what teeth I had left pulled and a full set of dentures made about 1 1/2 years ago. For the first time since I was a child was able to look in a mirror and smile without avoiding looking at my teeth. I actually sat in the dentist chair and cried like that small child the first time he put my dentures in and handed me a mirror.
That's why they don't give tetracycline to children under 12! :)
Lisa

HeadStarter 10 May 2012

Oh my goodness, Lisa... as I was reading your post I literally cried because I could feel your pain!!! I am so sorry that the unknown side effects of this medication had such a horrible affect on you. How devastating to a young person or to any one for that matter!

Now days, we as adults are a lot more aware of what we take and why we take it or even if we should take it at all... As an adult, I have argued side effects of many medications that were suggested to me without even offering up that maybe dietary restrictions would help me just as much as... let's say, LIPATOR, for instance, which is for cholesterol control.

Big hugs to you, Lisa... I know you are a beautiful person inside and out!!! I can tell by your posts and the compassion you have for others...

Mary

Lisa01 11 May 2012

Dear Mary,
You almost made me cry with that lovely compliment. Thank you so very much!
XOXO
Lisa

DzooBaby 11 May 2012

A lot of children, especially children allergic to penicillin, were given tetracycline before they found out about this affect. You see a lot of people born is the 40's and 50's to even in the 60's who have this problem. It just goes to show that doing drug testing in rats, certain side effects are much different in people than in rats, and we see some side effects crop up once a drug is released to the public. Drugs of any kind should never be taken lightly. They all have risks of side effects and some can be very devastating but preventing death from childhood illnesses like strep, which can lead to scarlet fever and be fatal if not treated, is a good thing. Now we have so many other antibiotics and we can avoid giving kids this drug. Years back, it was better to have bad teeth than to be killed by a childhood infection, we didnt have as many antibiotics to choose from, especially in kids allergic to sulfa and penicillin.