Will taking zoloft on occasion like a xanax harm my 82 yr old mother in law? I tell her not to???

MacIntosh12 18 Jun 2013

It makes no sense indeed, poor MIL. Tell her that one cannot take Zoloft once in a while, as it doesn't work like that. It must build up in a person's system to work effectively which takes about four weeks.
Best wishes to you,
Lara

makes no sense 18 Jun 2013

thanks Lara, could doing this a 3-4 times a week harm her? her husband is in ICU for past 3 weeks, therefore she is taking more often BUT not daily. concerned if i should tell her doctor...

MacIntosh12 18 Jun 2013

It shouldn't harm her in any way, but I think you should inform her doctor.
Is she sharp enough to understand, if you speak to her about taking them on a daily basis? Could she possibly think it's too many milligrams, therefore she only takes it 3 to 4 times a week? Is that a possibility? IF so, tell her that she needs to talk to her doc about the strength of Zoloft.
She probably is quite depressed if her husband is in ICU. I'd be worried that she will take too many of them, thinking that they work like a Xanax or Valium, which is very dangerous and could cause Serotonin Syndrome.
Wishing your MIL and you some peace of mind,
Lara

makes no sense 18 Jun 2013

thanks again for the helpful information Lara... i'll follow up w/her doctor.
Warm Regards

endlessPred 18 Jun 2013

Zoloft has to build in the system. So taking at times makes no sense. Xanax taken that way for its calming effect would make more sense. Best to talk with the doctor about this. Has she said why she takes it? Do you have the bottle to know if taking it the way she does is what was prescribed? Is she in a nursing home or facility that administers it? Let her take it as she has and check with the doctor. You don't want withdrawal. There may be some reason for it we don't know. Contacting the doctor will help the doc know what is happening. as far as you know, someone may be pilfering.

endlessPred 18 Jun 2013

By any chance is she short on funds and thinks she is saving money? My mother in law did something like that. She had the money, just thought her co-pay was too high. She is 89. They went through the depression and it leaves its effects.

makes no sense 18 Jun 2013

endlessPred,
thanks for your comment. I took zoloft about 10 yrs ago for approx 8months after my parents died within a few months of each other. I was devastated and it helped. I of course took it daily as prescribed and remember how important it was to do that AND my doctor slowly lowered dosage until i stopped taking it. My concern was if it would really 'mess' her up to take it like she does. I think she also has a script for Xanax (low mg) I don't have access to her bottle of Zoloft to see the mg. she lives at home, very well off financially, very active for her age, and a smart lady. so this makes no sense to me either. Hopefully her doctor will talk w/my husband (her son) can't imagine a doctor advising her to take 'as needed'. oh, when i have asked her about it, she says "oh, i don't need it everyday, once in while works for me". ???

endlessPred 18 Jun 2013

I do hear you. People from that generation, no matter how knowledgeable, treat antidepressant and the like as a stigma. Her vague response as if to dismiss you indicates she is having problems with admitting to herself that she isn't doing as well as she expects. My MIL, 89, says people are crazy to use that even though she has spent her entire life with anxiety and panic attacks. Everything else about her is "just so." She also is not good at taking medication. Pepto Bismol and aspirin is her solution. Until she started internal bleeding by taking these too frequently. So,I do get it.

happybrandee 18 Jun 2013

You have to take Zoloft daily for it to help. Keep trying to talk to your mother in law and if she doesn't listen to you, you may what to mention this to her doctor and see if he or she can talk to her about the proper way to take zoloft.