Taking methotrexate 2.5 mg 3 x week found out Im preg what are the risks?

Anonymous 25 Jul 2010

Methotrexate (Rheumatrex, Trexall) is a prescription medication that should be avoided by almost all pregnant women, except in a few circumstances, such as to treat an ectopic pregnancy. This drug can cause miscarriages, birth defects, and other serious problems.

Category X
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) uses a category system to classify the possible risks to a fetus when a specific medicine is taken during pregnancy. Pregnancy Category X is given to medicines that show problems to the fetus in animal studies or in humans who have mistakenly taken the medicine when pregnant.

Methotrexate poses a clear risk to a developing fetus. When taken in early pregnancy, it can cause many different severe birth defects, since it interferes with folic acid. The medication can also cause miscarriages, low birth weight, and dangerously low blood cell counts in the fetus.

Women should avoid becoming pregnant for at least one menstrual cycle after taking methotrexate.

It can also be used to treat cancerous complications of pregnancy, such as a molar pregnancy, either to end the pregnancy entirely (if the pregnancy is not viable) or to treat or prevent the cancer after delivery.

Lastly, methotrexate might be used as chemotherapy for a wide variety of cancers if a pregnant woman decides to undergo chemotherapy.

I hope this information helps you.

chasb123 25 Jul 2010

actually i was hoping to find out how much of a risk my baby will be at to have problems i quit taking it but i was taking folic acid also i am worried i know the side affects now but the dr never told me about the risks and i can't get an appt for a month i want to know about the dosage amt and how high of a percentage it will be for my child to have problems

Anonymous 25 Jul 2010

Hello, I do not mean to be rude or disrespectful at all--- on the contrary I only tried to help with regards to your qeustion:
.

I answered according to what you ask, you did not mention any thing else with all due respect.-

Anonymous 25 Jul 2010

Ok, I am sorry, I came up empty handed.

Contact your docotor anyway apply urgency, call him, send him emails until he answers... find a solution there is always one.

Ask your pharmacist or simply look for a different doctor... do not wait for the answer to come to you..you go out there and get it... no matter what it takes.

Once again I am sorry, and I wish you nothing but the best.

chasb123 26 Jul 2010

thank you i am sorry if i came off as rude i am not trying to be at all i had just already found the information that you had given me and i am maybe a month preg at the most i can't get an appt with the dr i have tried his next appt avalible is in a month but he wont give me a refferal to go to someone else and my ins dosent let me just see anyone without it so i feel hopeless i told the dr i was trying to get preg before he prescribed me the meds my son is 9 and we have been trying since he was 2 and i am so scared that something will go wrong and i dont know what i will be able to do i mean the birth defects sound very severe but the doc has to do his own preg test before he can send me to a specalist and i am scared

Anonymous 26 Jul 2010

I understand... it is ok, I know you are more than worried, your doctor is... I´ll keep it to myself, there must be a way, I would do more but I no longer live in the states, I live in South america now.
We both know this is very serious... this doctor of yours( no disrespect to you at all) is taking you for a ride. Report him to the medical association because if he knew you were trying to get pregnant and did nothing about it..that is negligence and lack of profesionalism because as a "doctor" he MUST be aware of the risks and FDA categories for certain meds and pregnancy, and that must be reported ASAP... and you have all the right to do it, and ask the medical association what to do.

Talk to your health inssurance and explain the severity of this most delicate matter... I am outraged with all this bloody burocracy and doctors that only care about money and not humanity.

My heart goes out to you.