... stop taking finasteride will it help me rwply soo
Large studies by Merck, one of the makers of finasteride, reported that even at 5 mg "no clinically meaningful effect was observed on the plasma lipid profile (i.e. total cholesterol, low density lipoproteins, high density lipoproteins and trigylcerides"
Other reports have suggested small increases in HDL in a proportion of men
A study by Duskova and colleagues showed a "slight initial increase in total cholesterol and HDL and LDL cholesterol which stabilized with prolonged treatment"
Overall, anyone with increases in their cholesterol should speak to their physician. It may or may not be related to the drug.
1. Merck.com - accessed Jan 12, 2015
2. Duskova M et al. Changes of metabolic profile in men treated for androgenetic alopecia with 1 mg finasteride. Endocr Regul. 2010 Jan;44(1):3-8.
Jeff Donovan MD PhD FRCPC FAAD
US & Canadian board-certified Dermatologist
- Finasteride Information for Consumers
- Finasteride Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Finasteride (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 31 Oct 2009 • 4 answers
Posted 4 Mar 2010 • 1 answer
Posted 25 Oct 2011 • 2 answers
Posted 2 Apr 2012 • 1 answer
Posted 20 Sep 2015 • 1 answer