I started the generic last month and felt very defensive and began eating a lot. My sex drive began to diminish even more than it had already and I really was becoming upset.

This month, I had my doctor write the prescription to be brand specific Wellbutrin XL because I really wanted to give it a chance to work for me.

My p doc prescribed it for me to counteract the weight gain and diminishing libido I already had from taking Paxil off and on since the year 2000. I would go off it for a couple of years with p doc guidance whenever I felt better, primarily to lose weight. A few years later, I would relapse again with anxiety attacks and go back on Paxil.

Having been on it again, for almost two years, I was really starting to become depressed about the weight gain. I had gained 35 lbs in the two years, increasing to 170 lbs from 135 lbs, so my p doc first prescribed me 150 mg of generic Wellbutrin xl, bupropion hcl xl, to add to my daily regimen of 20 mg of Paroxetine hcl, generic Paxil.

When I first began taking Paxil in 2000, I was prescribed brand name Paxil for generalized anxiety disorder and when the generic was approved, I switched to that instead and never had problems or noticed a difference between brand Paxil and the generic for it. So, I am confused. Why is there such a difference with the Wellbutrin xl and its generic?

This month, while taking brand Wellbutrin xl, I am not defensive, have more energy, am more focused while performing tasks, have a decrease in appetite, a higher sex drive; and, I have to say when you compare the generic and brand Wellbutrin xl, it is like comparing apples to oranges. It is actually picking up the slack for whatever has always been missing from the Paxil regimen.