I took the Nuvaring for 3 months, and it didn't work out well for me. It caused discomfort for both me and my partner. I felt nauseous all the time and it was hard to eat big meals without feeling this way. I also had some pretty bad mood swings and got constipated irregularly often.
It was hard for me to remember to put it back in when I would take it out to have intercourse. I made one mistake during the 2nd month... I fell asleep after we had sex, so the ring was out of me longer than 3 hours. So I had to take Ella EC. After that, I didn't know that I had to use a back up method like condoms for 14 days, I thought I only had to wait for 7 days like most EC pills are. I ended up having unprotected sex before the 14 days were up, even though he didn't ejaculate inside of me. I called my doctor and I was advised to take a Plan B pill. So I took 2 EC pills in one month and it made me feel worse.
I had taken 3 pregnancy tests while I was on the Nuva ring, because the last 1 and a half (roughly) months were horribly chalked full of side effects that scared me. (All tests said I wasn't pregnant). I was freaking out and crying every day, I never wanted to eat a big meal because I would feel like throwing it up. I never threw up though. My boobs became bigger and still are now. I would get one mild headache almost every day, usually lasting a couple hours. Then I started getting pain in my legs, it wasn't intense but it was noticeable.
So finally I decided to switch methods. When I was 2 weeks away from my Ring removal day, I went to my doctor and switched from the Ring to the Patch. The doctor told me to put on the patch a day after the Ring removal. It sounded simple enough, but then I read the directions in the package, and it said to not start the Patch until the end of my Ring cycle (AKA the day I would normally insert my new ring, AKA after my period). So I wasn't sure whether or not I should have put on the Patch right away, or waited until after my menstrual cycle.
I tried calling my doctor to ask about this (along with many other questions in the past), and they were always too busy to take my call. I would be pre occupied with work and other things to have much time to go in there myself. they would put me on hold for 30 minutes and then tell me to give them my number so they could call me later. So I decided to take my doctors advice, not following the Ortho Evra Patch instructions.
On the day of my ring removal, I enjoyed my day, went to bed, woke up in the morning, and put on the patch. The nausea went away for the most part, though I still have trouble with digesting food. My leg pains became worse and ive only been on the patch for about a week so far. The pain stretches from my ankles to my calves to my back thighs. My boobs haven't gone back to their normal size and are still tender.
I missed my period the week I was supposed to have it, on what normally would have been my ring free week. Did I skip my period because I took a new contraceptive when I was supposed to bleed? Or could I be pregnant? That's the thing that scares me the most. I have never missed a period once in my life.
I feel so stupid I should have been patient and talked to the doctor on the phone. Or I should have trusted the instructions over my doctors mouth, because now I am unsure what all of my side effects mean. And I wonder why my doctor would tell me one thing while the medication they provide for me tells me another. Honestly I am very disappointed in my doctor. I go to Planned Parenthood for birth control, this isn't the first time something like this happened. Someone please help me find out if these side effects are normal with people switching from the Ring to the Patch, and if I could be pregnant.