Join the 'Fungal Pneumonia' group to help and get support from people like you.
Fungal Pneumonia News
Posted 23 Aug 2016 by Drugs.com
TUESDAY, Aug. 23, 2016 – A British bagpipe player died after contracting a lethal fungal infection from his instrument, researchers say. As the experts explained, the moist interiors of wind instruments can promote the growth of fungi and molds that, when breathed in regularly, can cause chronic inflammatory lung condition called hypersensitivity pneumonitis. The disease is also often linked with regular exposure to birds, particularly pigeons. The new report involves a 61-year-old man who was diagnosed with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in 2009. He was admitted to hospital in 2014 after his condition worsened to the point that he had trouble breathing and walking. While doctors knew the patient had hypersensitivity pneumonitis, they didn't know the cause. He didn't handle pigeons. He didn't smoke. And, his house had no signs of mold or water damage. However, he did play bagpipes daily ... Read more