Join the 'Esophageal Hemorrhage' group to help and get support from people like you.
Esophageal Hemorrhage News
Posted 18 Oct 2016 by Drugs.com
TUESDAY, Oct. 18, 2016 – A San Francisco man who joined an eating contest involving super-hot "ghost peppers" ended up with a hole in his esophagus, doctors report. The 47-year-old showed up at a hospital emergency room after eating ghost peppers, or "bhut jolokia" – one of the hottest peppers known and "more than twice the strength of a habanero pepper," according to a team led by Dr. Ann Arens. She's with the department of emergency medicine at the University of California, San Francisco. The man came into the ER "with severe abdominal and chest pain subsequent to violent retching and vomiting after eating ghost peppers," the doctors said in the report published recently in The Journal of Emergency Medicine. CT scans and chest X-rays revealed air around a part of the esophagus, "suggestive of a spontaneous esophageal perforation," Arens' team said. "The patient was intubated and ... Read more