Skip to Content

Join the 'Abbokinase Open-Cath' group to help and get support from people like you.

Abbokinase Open-Cath News

Could a Clot-Busting Drug Help Treat a 'Bleeding' Stroke?

Posted 18 Feb 2016 by Drugs.com

THURSDAY, Feb. 18, 2016 – In what one expert called a "counterintuitive" finding, research suggests that the powerful clot-busting drug known as tPA might help patients suffering a hemorrhagic ("bleeding") stroke. According to the American Stroke Association, only about 15 percent of strokes are caused by runaway bleeding in the brain; the other 85 percent are caused by a clot. And while it ...

For Stroke Patients, Temporary Easing of Symptoms Can Be Deceiving

Posted 18 Feb 2016 by Drugs.com

WEDNESDAY, Feb. 17, 2016 – A quick improvement in symptoms before a stroke patient arrives at the hospital doesn't necessarily mean a better outcome, a new study finds. "Patients with very early rapid neurological improvement when first examined at the hospital still need to be considered for therapy to dissolve blood clots, given the high rate of unfavorable outcome," study author Dr. Clotilde ...

More Evidence That Time-to-Treatment Is Crucial for Stroke

Posted 21 Dec 2015 by Drugs.com

MONDAY, Dec. 21, 2015 – Stroke patients have worse outcomes when delays occur in restoring blood flow to the brain, a new study says. Dutch researchers looked at 500 people who suffered a stroke caused by blocked blood flow to the brain – what's known as an ischemic stroke, the most common form. About half of the patients received intra-arterial treatment (IAT), which involves inserting a ...

More Progress Needed To Get Stroke Patients Rapid Care

Posted 31 Jul 2015 by Drugs.com

FRIDAY, July 31, 2015 – Stroke victims still aren't getting treated soon enough, a new study suggests. Treating strokes quickly is critical, because the more time that elapses, the less effective stroke treatment may be, the researchers explained. A number of factors have reduced the time it takes stroke patients to get treatment. These include greater public awareness, better emergency dispatch ...

Wide Variations Seen in U.S. Stroke Care

Posted 7 Jul 2015 by Drugs.com

TUESDAY, July 7, 2015 – Americans' odds of receiving a drug that can halt strokes in progress may vary widely depending on their ZIP codes, a new study finds. Experts said the findings, reported in the July issue of the journal Stroke, help verify what everyone has suspected: There are disparities in emergency stroke care across the United States, specifically in the use of a clot-busting drug ...

Expert Tips to Detect Early Warning Signs of Stroke

Posted 11 May 2015 by Drugs.com

SUNDAY, May 10, 2015 – Prompt treatment of stroke is key to preventing death and disability, but not everyone knows how to quickly identify the early warning signs of stroke. "Today, thanks to early detection, aggressive treatment and new intervention therapies, more stroke patients than ever are returning to normal life with limited to no disability," said Dr. Stanley Tuhrim, director of the ...

Pros, Cons to Dissolving Lung Clots: Study

Posted 17 Jun 2014 by Drugs.com

TUESDAY, June 17, 2014 – Drugs used to break up blood clots in the lungs may lower the risk of death, but they also increase the risk of bleeding, a new study finds. Researchers analyzed data from 16 trials involving use of clot-busting drugs called thrombolytics to treat life-threatening clots in the lungs (pulmonary embolism). Despite the drugs' apparent life-saving benefits, the risk of major ...

Every Minute Counts for Stroke Victims, Study Confirms

Posted 18 Jun 2013 by Drugs.com

TUESDAY, June 18 – For stroke victims, 15 minutes can mean the difference between life and death, a new study finds. Rapid treatment with a clot-dissolving drug reduces stroke patients' risk of in-hospital death and increases their chances of being able to walk and return home when they leave the hospital, according to the study, published in the June 19 issue of the Journal of the American ...

Ask a Question

Further Information

Related Condition Support Groups

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), Deep Vein Thrombosis, Myocardial Infarction, Heart Attack, Pulmonary Embolism, Thrombotic / Thromboembolic Disorder

Abbokinase Open-Cath Patient Information at Drugs.com