What is Supartz injections suppose to do for a knee that is bone to bone?

ElizaJane23 1 Apr 2014

Sodium hyaluronate is similar to the synovial (sin-OH-vee-ul) fluid that surrounds your joints. Synovial fluid acts as a lubricant and shock absorber.

Sodium hyaluronate is injected into the knee joint to treat pain caused by osteoarthritis. This medication is usually reserved for people whose pain has not been relieved by using other medicines or treatments.

I've used a similar medication for my knees. One knee I've had injected two series of shots each year, six months apart. That knee I had very good reduction in pain, etc for six of the eight years. Now my knee has to be replaced - it can't be helped anymore. But those six years it really helped! Now I am starting to get the shots in my other knee, and hope it will do as well. Here's some information about it:

https://www.drugs.com/mtm/supartz-injectable.html

Regards, EJ23

luannemusicmom 23 Nov 2014

I had similar good results with Supartz. I probably got another 5-6 years out of the knee than I would have had I not gotten the Suparz shots. Did have it replaced after the shots didn't work. Like the previous answer, I am bone-on-bone on the other knee and will try the Supartz and hope I get some years our of that one too.