Can I stop taking my sertraline right away or do I have to decrease slowly?

Kids813 14 Feb 2017

You don't say how long you've been on Sertraline, but NEVER NEVER stop abruptly as you can develope discontinuation syndrome. You don't want that trust me. I stopped and started, missed days on sertraline and one morning just turned my head to the side and the entire room was spinning. I panicked and held on to walls to reach my phone to call 911. I was hospitalized overnight for observation with intravenous meds and could not turn my head if I did the world was spinning horribly. I was never a fan of roller coaster rides etc but this was frightening. I had to reinstate the sertraline 25 mg and it took over a week to feel a little better. I will never play around with that med again. You cannot come off of it easily you must taper and only through your Doctor. Good luck.