Stomach Ulcer - How to treat gastric ulcer at home?

Stephen Treloar 20 Jul 2014

The answer is that you really can't, in most cases, without specific antibiotics and a mineral supplement. Up to 95% of duodenal ulcers and up to 75% of gastric ulcers are ultimately caused by the bacterium: Helicobacter pylori which is easily treatable. If infected with this bacterium it is important to get it treated as it is considered a Class 1 carcinogen.

From the US CDC: "Therapy for H. pylori infection consists of 10 days to 2 weeks of one or two effective antibiotics, such as amoxicillin, tetracycline (not to be used for children <12 yrs.), metronidazole, or clarithromycin, plus either ranitidine bismuth citrate, bismuth subsalicylate, or a proton pump inhibitor. Acid suppression by the H2 blocker or proton pump inhibitor in conjunction with the antibiotics helps alleviate ulcer-related symptoms (i.e., abdominal pain, nausea), helps heal gastric mucosal inflammation, and may enhance efficacy of the antibiotics against H. pylori at the gastric
mucosal surface."

kaismama 20 Jul 2014

I've had 9 ulcers and none because of h.pylori, I can thank all the NSAIDS drs put me on for fibro. You should not treat it without a dr following you, ulcers can be severe and a dr should be the one to put you on treatment, after he tests you for h. pylori. With the new medications like nexium ulcer treatment is pretty straightforward.

Bri03 12 Apr 2015

Do they ever heal? I have one from NSAIDs and it's just not going away!! I've been tested for h pylori and it's not that, but this medicine (omeprazole) makes me so constipated.