Just starting buspirone, how long you think I will know it’s working?

GMc 27 Dec 2018

Hi Wardg: That could depend on several things like, what dose you are started on, how your body chemistry reacts to it, side effects, and the fact that it is not a "rescue med" such as benzodiazapines, so it could take a bit of time to start to work for you. In my case, it is a wonderful anti anxiety medication for me! In my case, I started getting good results in the first week. That is a good thing. Then it continues to provide relief, but it can take 6-8 weeks to reach full potential for a person. I have been taking Buspar for 3 years now and it is the best med I have taken for anxiety. No more anxiety or panic attacks since I have been taking it. I used to wake up in the middle of the night with an anxiety attack, just out of the blue, no reason whatsoever for it to happen. But I never have those anymore since I have been taking Buspar. Let us know how it is working for you...

WildcatVet 28 Dec 2018

Well said, GMc! That's my exact story too... I'm very happy with my buspirone.

Rathmullan 28 Dec 2018

Hello:

Wardg. This is a great question. Many people expect buspirone to have an immediate sedative effect similar to benzodiazapines but it doesn't work quite that way. My Doctor told me I should know if the medication was working within a week, or two weeks at the most. It's true that buspirone can have an almost immediate effect. But I also noticed an even greater effect a couple of months into treatment. A full 6 months on I'm still noticing an improvement in the medications effectiveness and my dosage has never changed. I'm taking just 5 mg twice per day. My Doctor told me I could up my dosage after two weeks but I'm glad I didn't because things keep getting better and better. I'm guessing that will end.

Take care now and all the best!