Where does one start in the beginning to get help for cirrhosis?

Stephen Treloar 16 May 2016

You have to be pro-active. Do what you can first:

Quit drinking and then think about and actually QUIT drinking.

Diet: a healthy diet is absolutely essential; 1.5 grams of protein per kilo of bodyweight per day, fresh fruit/preserved/canned is ok and a lot of low glycemic index carbohydrates and some sugars. As little oil as is possible, cut down salt to ~1gram per day

The other end: Lactulose is an absolutely frightening laxative but change gut bacteria to get rid of ammonia in blood plasma which at higher levels can manifest as encephalopathy (brain fog and such). Try finding a dose small enough (measuring cup) that will not result in an explosion or fouled bed (or BOTH).

Edema: swelling of the ankles and feet and Ascites: fluid in the abdominal cavity will require a diuretic such as Frusemide, I have found I don't need a potassium sparing diuretic.

See your doctor for a referral for an abdominal ultrasound which will/can reveal small lesions, organ size and blood perfusion through the liver, spleen, pancreas and kidneys. Also a fibroscan which measures the livers 'stiffness' from scarring. A referral to a hospital liver clinic (a private teaching hospital may have a program that they receive Federal funding for). Or a private specialist gastroenterologist with a Liver speciality.

Feel free to 'friend me' and ask for detail on pretty much lots regarding liver disease.

Steve

Stephen Treloar 16 May 2016

I forgot. DO NOT touch any liver tonic or any liver or body detox 'medication'. All of it with exception of Milk Thistle is bad for your liver. Oddly, Sarsaparilla I found by accident, improved my Liver function (there is no empirical evidence that supports this).