Can I take St. John's wort with my SSRI meds?

Stephen Treloar 21 Aug 2016

NO, not at all.

beachgirl21 21 Aug 2016

Absolutely not! St. John's wort works in a very similar fashion to SSRI's, and will inhibit the reuptake of serotonin. This can very easily cause serotonin syndrome, which can result in permanent damage to your bodies and organs, or if not properly diagnosed and treated immediately, death.

I'm all for natural substances, but never take ANYTHING (natural or synthetic) with a medication without speaking to your doctor first. If your antidepressant isn't working, and you don't wish to try another, taper off of it and then try St. John's Wort by itself. But even then, be cautious and perhaps try to find a naturalistic doctor or expert to guide you on what dosage to take, but again, even natural substances can cause harm if used incorrectly.